Moderator: werner

werner

Goldschwinge ???

Post by werner » January 19th, 2010, 10:38 am

Topic: Geha Goldschwinge???
Startbeitrag
Author: Linceo

Hello everyone,

While browsing through the internet, eBay, etc. I kept stumbling over the word “Goldschwinge”. Now, I’m not exactly sure which Geha models actually share that name, because the pictures of the pens all look so different from each other. I recently bought two of these pens in an auction, but they haven’t arrived yet.

I’m sure someone here in the forum will be able to feed me with some information and maybe (hopefully) also send some pictures.

Thanks in advance!

Linceo

werner

Re: Goldschwinge ???

Post by werner » January 19th, 2010, 10:39 am

Antwort_01
Author: Werner

Hello Linceo,

The fountain pens that belong to the Geha-Goldschwinge series are the models: 745, 745 P, 735, 735 P, 725 and 725 P. "P" stands for “cartridge filling system”. The main characteristic of the series, according to Geha, is the flexibility of the nib. The golden nib sits tightly on the barrel. I got this info from a price list that is dated 1962. Unfortunately, I only have a black+white image that I’d gladly pass on later, if you are interested.

Kind regards,
Werner

werner

Post by werner » January 19th, 2010, 10:40 am

Antwort_02

Hello there,

Here the promised picture. As I said, it is in black and white, but if I can find a better picture anywhere, I will let you know.

Bye for now,
Werner
Attachments
GehaGoldschwinge.jpg
GehaGoldschwinge.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 16225 times

werner

Post by werner » January 19th, 2010, 10:41 am

Antwort_03
Author: Münsterländer
Hi Linceo,

So, it was you who bought the pens??! One is in the original box, for about 20 Euros and the other one is single-packed, something under 10 Euros. Does that sound familiar to you? I had these two pens in my watch-file, too, because I’ve been urgently waiting for a legendary Goldschwinge to come. I’m sure you made a good bargain. I won the auction for the Goldschwinge 725 in top condition. That was a previous auction, but I had to pay 36 Euros. Well, I guess that’s how ebay works.

I like the pen a lot, not least because of its eye﷓catching nib that ends in two slim side bars. Very extraordinary! The nib looks like its overlying; I can’t tell how Geha managed to attach it. The cap and the filling button end in flat, golden "plates", which makes the pen look very fancy. The bottom edge of the cap ends in a wide golden belt with the engraving “Made in Germany, Rolled Gold GEHA” on it. The fountain pen is in a really good condition considering its age (>40 years).

I wonder how much such a 725 pen had cost in the 60s. I’d say about 30 DM???

Have fun with your two new acquisitions!

Ewald

werner

Post by werner » January 19th, 2010, 10:43 am

Antwort_04

Hi there,

I can tell you the prices from the price list of 1962.

Model 745, push-on cap, trimmings gold doublé DM 45,00
Model 735, push-on cap, nickel silver, trimmings gold doublé DM 35,00
Model 725, push-on cap, black, trimmings gold doublé DM 25,00

The prices for piston- and cartridge-filling fountain pens were identical.

Regards,

Werner

werner

Post by werner » January 19th, 2010, 11:02 am

Antwort_05

Münsterländer wrote:
......... No idea how Geha got it attached.

Hello Ewald,

As far as I know, the whole top had to be replaced if the nib was broken. I guess that is why the Goldschwinge could not assert itself on the market.

Bye for now,
Werner

werner

Post by werner » January 19th, 2010, 11:04 am

Antwort_06

Many thanks to both of you for your answers and for the picture, too. I, as well liked the pen especially for its exceptional design of the nib. On Saturday there were at least 7 or 8 different pens in different designs “under the hammer”. Unfortunately, the seller couldn’t tell me how wide the nibs of each of the pens were, so I was bidding kind of on a wing and a prayer. Now I’m curious now to see what I got. I’ll be sure to let you know.

The second sample I was able to buy on an auction was the set including a ballpoint pen in its original box. It was labeled as NEW and ended at 7,50 Euros. It looks totally different, but it was also called a Goldschwinge. However, it doesn’t look half as interesting as the first one. It reminds me more of the good old fountain pens we used to write with in school in 1973.

Last question: From when to have the two samples been made and sold? Which one came earlier?

Greetings from Frankfurt,

Linceo

werner

Post by werner » January 19th, 2010, 11:08 am

Antwort_07

Here the printed advertisement from the magazine SPIEGEL of 1968:

As far as I know (my mom used to have one of these) this pen had the same reservoir as the school fountain pen.
Regards,
Linceo
Attachments
Geha_Spiegel.jpg
Geha_Spiegel.jpg (5.9 KiB) Viewed 16170 times

werner

Post by werner » January 19th, 2010, 11:09 am

Antwort_08

Hello Linceo,

I have the SPIEGEL advertisement of 1968, too. However, the nib shown is not a Goldschwinge like the one shown in the illustration of 1960 farther up. The eye-catching mounting of the nib is missing with the two extensions along the sides. I guess the model shown here from the 1970s. According to Geha it’s a Goldschwinge, too.

The models of that time (1970) are 736, 726 and 722. The prices are the same as the models from the ’60s

see you,
Werner

werner

Post by werner » January 19th, 2010, 11:10 am

Antwort_09
Author: Münsterländer

Hi Linceo,

The Goldschwinge you won in the auction (the picture with the red background really wasn’t a looker) might be the model 735. The screw-cap made of nickel silver, as given from Werner’s listing, make me come to the conclusion.

I have also received an instruction manual for my Goldschwinge. I might try to scan it tomorrow, if you are interested.

Have a nice evening,

Ewald