Moderator: werner

hotap

Parker I.M. 2009

Post by hotap » March 4th, 2010, 2:03 pm

Thema: Parker I.M. 2009
Startbeitrag
Autor: Christian Mücke

Hello Everyone,

Just recently, I was able to have a look at Parker's new "I.M." Compared to the predecessor model, which was rather a plain plastic pen, this one seems to be of more significant workmanship. Has anyone made any experiences with this pen yet?

Christian

hotap

Re: Parker I.M. 2009

Post by hotap » March 4th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Antwort 01
Autor: Joachim Kabus

Hello Christian,

I've been eyeing it for a couple of weeks now, too. From what it looks like, it really seems to look valuable and nice. Surely useful as an everyday pen (concerning the price). I can't decide on the color, blue, black or grey. I think I'll take the grey pen. At least it looks the most elegant. When I have it, I'll let you know more about it (should no one else come first).

Joachim ;)

hotap

Post by hotap » March 4th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Antwort 02

Hello Joachim,

I think I'm going to get the new I.M. myself. The old model has a rather simple design, but it writes well. If the new pen has the same writing characteristics as the old one and, on top of that, can also convince with a new design, it could become one of the upper class pens for pens of that price range. I will let you know after I've got it.

Greetings,
Christian

P.S.: By the way, I can't choose between the colors black /silver and blue/silver.

hotap

Post by hotap » March 4th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Antwort 03
Autor Christian Mücke

Hello,

I couldn't resist anymore. Two spontaneous purchases have been on the table today: the new I.M. in black/silver and the new Urban, also in black/silver. After having written a couple of pages I must say the first impression is a good one. The pens are nicely crafted for the price (between 20 and 30 Euros). They have a metal barrel and a shiny varnish. The stainless steel nibs (M) write very soft and without scratching. The ink flow (especially of the Urban) is very rich (equipped with the original Parker cartridge). I will continue testing both pens in the next couple of days and will let you know about my experiences.

Here are the links to the pens:
http://www.parkerpen.com/de/discovery/r ... erim_metal

And

http://www.parkerpen.com/de/discovery/r ... ance/urban

Talk to you later,
Christian

hotap

Post by hotap » March 4th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Antwort 04

Hello Everyone,

as promised, here my report on my first experiences with the Parker I.M.
In contrast to the old I.M. (up to 2009), which wrote well despite the plain design, the new I.M. is clearly tougher and more valuably fabricated.

The varnished brazen barrel becomes thicker towards the middle, however, runs slim again to the gripping section, which is made of brushed stainless steel. The varnishing, at least of my pen, has proven itself resistant (it had taken a fall from 1 meter uncomplainingly). The screw valves, on the gripping section as well as on the cap, both are easy to screw. The gripping section will not come off by itself.
A chrome colored ring is on the bottom end of the cap and the top is decorated with a chrome colored head piece with the Parker logo engraved on it. The classical arrow-shaped clip must not be missing. It sits very tightly and keeps the pen in position. The cap closes with a loud click.
A negative aspect is an air hole underneath the clip, which leads to the problem that the fountain pen dries out when it is not being used for a while (at least in combination with the blue Sapphire ink from Parker). Parker doesn't seem to have learned here, as the problem is already known from other models of the company. I will test if the problem remains when using their "Quink" ink and will let you know what I find out.
The (M-)nib is made of stainless steel. Not very flexible, but it runs smoothly over the paper. The ink flow is prime and doesn't interrupt, even after longer writing passages. Slight writing sounds can be heard.
All in all, a very good, middle-weight pen for everyday use. Not a bad bargain at 20 Euros (RRP). The numerous color variations also provide a good choice range for every taste. However, a minus might bet he limited sizes of nibs – F, M and B, not more. But at least the writing characteristics are impeccable.
So much to my first impressions. I will let you know the exact measurements and weight of the pen. The homepage also provides some information, as referred to above.

All the best,
Christian

hotap

Post by hotap » March 4th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Antwort 05
Autor: OliverBonn

Good evening together,

I stumbled over the new I.M. by chance. It was recommended to me by the Kaufhof sales person in Berlin, where I had been on a business trip. While I was unpacking my suitcase I realized a little horrified that I had forgotten my Pelikan 800 on my desk at home.

In my distress, I got myself this inexpensive fountain pen to avoid having to use the hotel ballpoint pens. I felt a little awkward: What could I expect for 20 Euros? Oh well, I thought, in case I don't like it, I can still give it away when I got back home.

Meanwhile, I still have my I.M. and I am pretty impressed by this pen. It writes as soft as butter, barely has problems when starting to write, the black varnishing of the pen is attractive to the eye. The I.M. lies heavily in the hand (which I like); the cap closes tightly with a click.

All in all, I am very satisfied with it. What had been a distress purchase, has become a good companion.

hotap

Post by hotap » March 4th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Antwort 06
Autor: U_T

Hello together,

I'm glad to hear that the new models apparently write well.

I would just like to note: The series Parker IM and Parker Urban are both made in China.

Not that I am against products from China, but I just don't understand why such a prestigious company for writing instruments would outsource its production to the Far East.

However: It is interesting to read that apparently the quality is a good one…

hotap

Post by hotap » March 4th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Antwort 07
Autor: Saarländerin

I got myself the Parker I.M. last week. Price at the stationary shop: 19,95€. Optic and haptic are incredible, from my point of view. However, I do have to write about 5 lines a day so it does not write with interruptions of the ink flow. Otherwise there are no difficulties…until the next day. :(
Greetings from the Saarlander Roswitha

hotap

Post by hotap » March 4th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Antwort 08
Autor. Christian Mücke

Hello Roswitha,

I would say the ink interruption is due to the hole in the cap (under the clip). I just glued it closed with a piece of tape – and the problem was solved, no matter how long it was kept in the desk.

Greetings,
Christian

hotap

Post by hotap » March 4th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Antwort 09
Autor: Saarländerin

Thanks for the hint with the tape. However, I really don't see a hole in the cap, not under the clip and not anywhere else either – not even with a magnifying glass and held against the light.

Greetings from Roswitha