Moderator: werner

werner

Aurora-Virus, Infection and Healung

Post by werner » February 23rd, 2010, 9:18 am

Thema: Aurora-Virus, Infection and Healung
Startbeitrag
Autor: Christian OSB

Hello everyone,
I don't really go to the Aurora forum that much. Now, however, I feel animated by the posting "Aurora Virus Infection" that came from Manfred, to write of my own experiences. The Aurora virus caught me in the year 2000, when I was on the PaperWorld trade fair in Frankfurt. I had a chance to have a closer look at the one or other beautiful Aurora pen there and finally decided to invest some savings in an Aurora Optima for 560 Marks…the pen is really beautiful and at the beginning, I loved writing with it (despite the rather stiff nib).

Then came the healing.

When writing longer passages, I always switched back to my beloved Pelikan or MB nibs that I were used to writing with. I never really could get used to the Aurora nib. And so it came that the pen often laid in its case in my desk drawer. Even though it wasn't used a lot compared to the age of the pen, the thread began to crumble out of the cap. Now I can't screw it closed very well anymore. At the end of the barrel, right above the gripping section, there are very small cracks. And the pen had never been on any trips or the like, not even while kept in its case.

On September 11th, I finally offered it on the swap meet here at penexchange ("Aurora Optima in blue") and hoped that anyone would be interested in the pen, however, nobody answered. Maybe it was because I didn't set a price, but I did not do so, because I really wanted to trade it for something else (e. g. a working, black cap for a Pelikan 400 NN or an older, flexible OM, OB or OBB nib for a Pelikan 400 or 400NN).

Anyway, I hope you are happy with your Aurora pens. If anyone might be interested in my slightly defect (but still fully functioning) Aurora pen, I'd be glad to hear from you. (I've already found a spare cap on missing-pen.de and I'm already in touch with Mr. Thiel).

Greetings,
Christian

werner

Re: Aurora-Virus, Infection and Healung

Post by werner » February 23rd, 2010, 9:19 am

Antwort_01
Autor: Dirk Barmeyer

Hallo Christian,
Every sort of healing is a good one. No manufacturer is as good as to overindulge in its products. Your failed sales attempt might be due to the missing price. Why not try setting a price for it.
Or why not send it to Signo and ask for a cost estimate. My guessing is that you will get a new pen for something under 100 Euros.

werner

Post by werner » February 23rd, 2010, 9:21 am

Antwort_02
Autor: eisbaer-kiel

Good Morning to Everyone,
As an indirect creator of this thread, I would like to share my thoughts with you on this topic.

I agree with Dirk that addiction to a manufacturer is wrong. I'm not addicted either. But there are certain moments in the life of a fountain pen collector when you pass by a pen and you cannot get out of your head anymore. You click around on the internet and happen to call up the page of a manufacturer of writing instruments – as if unintended. It's like when you go window shopping and always go back to the same window.

It happens to me every once in a while. Regardless of the manufacturer. Or even the product. For example, last summer I spent a whole hour standing in front of a little Scottish distiller. In the end, I did buy the bottle of Whiskey after all...
Back to the fountain pen: It was this forum that introduced me to the Aurora pens in the first place. After spending lots and lots of time reading, I ordered the Ipsilon and was very impressed by the design and the manufacturing. So, I started delving among the catalogue of Aurora pens and, in the end, fell for the pen 88....
Since a couple of weeks now I am a proud keeper of an 88 pen with a silver cap (Thank you, Mr. Thiel). It feels good and looks great and I enjoy running my hands over it. It does write a little hard and comparing to my Pelikan pen, the M nib is relatively fine. And yet, it is my most beautiful piece.
From my experience I'm sure I'll have a little peace and comfort for some time. And then another "virus" will catch me.

Best wishes
Manfred

werner

Post by werner » February 23rd, 2010, 9:21 am

Antwort_03
Autor: Thomas Baier

Hello Manfred,
It really is a nice pen. Can you upload us some pictures?

Greetings,
Thomas

P. S.: My pictures don't turn out so well with my compact dig cam. Otherwise I would take advantage of it more.

werner

Post by werner » February 23rd, 2010, 9:25 am

Antwort_04
Autor: eisbaer-kiel

Hello,
I'm still working on a photographic composition. But I don't want to keep this 88/803 from you either. It might be a "standard" pen, but the silver cap has something nostalgic, don't you think?

Manfred
Attachments
Aurora.jpg
Aurora.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 11338 times

werner

Post by werner » February 23rd, 2010, 9:26 am

Antwort_05
Autor: Thomas Baier

Looks good, Manfred, thank you.
Greetings,
Thomas

werner

Post by werner » February 23rd, 2010, 9:27 am

Antwort_06
Autor: Marius

Hello Manfred,

Some time ago, the Aurora virus caught me, too, just like it did you. It made me buy the 88 with the silver cap. And I can only agree: It really is a beautiful pen. Especially the silver cap makes it even more to something special.
As I happen to not have my 88 with me today (it's soaking in distilled water at home to rinse the sediments of dried ink that came from almost daily use) I am delighted to see a picture of your pen now. Therefore, please forgive me if I do not wish you – and myself, as well – a quick recovery from the Aurora virus.

Have fun with it and best wishes,
Marius

werner

Post by werner » February 23rd, 2010, 9:29 am

Antwort_07
Autor: Cori

Aurora
How beautiful these nibs are, and I mean what I say. First, they usually are bulbous (except the Hastil), I like that. Second, they are light-weighted, and therefore I can write well with them. The nibs are wonderfully finished and the reservoir - a dream!

Manfred, your Aurora is a pretty one, too…

The only problem, Austria is a pretty vanilla fountain pen country. And so, I keep running from shop to shop hoping to get my hands on an Aurora, but nobody seems to have one anymore, too bad. That is the Pelikans and MBs in their heads, they make them forget everything else. Really, too bad.

RTThown

-

Post by RTThown » September 13th, 2021, 5:32 pm

i want all unwanted fords and holdens that dont go are rusty deregd wrighten off unfinished projects just basicly rooted old heaps of crap that you dont want. other makes are also wanted cash will be offered