Moderator: werner

werner

Osmia - Faber-Castell

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Thema: Faber Castell Progress
Startbeitrag
Autor: Christian OSB

Dear Fountain Pen Community,
I found a lost pen case in a drawer of an old desk. There was a Faber Castell pen in it, the "Progress 66 RG". I'm guessing that RG stands for "Rolled Gold", as the black fountain pen has a golden cap. The shape of the pen is rather plain, the nib relatively small and made of 585 gold. There are fine lines going lengthwise along the cap. A black mechanical pencil goes along with it. It is engraved with the words "Faber Castell 203".
I don't really know much about the older models of Faber and I can't find very much about it on the internet. Can anyone tell me more about this writing instrument, which I would put somewhere around the 60s and 70s. The green leather case carries the company logo on the inside. Both the fountain pen and the pencil have the apparently common logo on the top of their caps – a white diamond in a white circle.
I'd be grateful for some information.
A peaceful 3rd Advent to all of you!

Christian

werner

Re: Osmia - Faber-Castell

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Antwort 01
Autor: werner

Hello Christian,
The product name Progress is from the time when Osmia still existed. It was taken over by Faber-Castell in 1950. Osmia had already produced and sold pens of the Progress line, but that was not your question. The fountain pen Progress 66 RG from Faber-Castell was made in the late 1950s and was the top model of the product range. The Progress edition was ranged in the middle price segment. You have already mentioned the rolled gold cap. At that point of time it had already been decided not to go back to the name Osmia. That is the short and fragmentary version explanation on the Faber-Castell 66 RG.

Werner

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Antwort 02

Good Morning Werner,
Thank you for the background info. I don't know anything at all about the "Osmia history". Now I have a better insight, also concerning the age of the pen.
Have a nice 3rd Advent!
Christian

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Antwort 03
Autor: Frodo

Hello Christian
I can add some information to what Werner said:
Supra, Supra- Lux, Brilliant, Promotion, Compressor or Torpedo were alongside with the Progress former names for different filling mechanism variations of the company Osmia. The Progress pen was the filling method that principally matched the filling method of the Parker Vaccumatic. Osmia produced all fountain pens that Faber offered. Basically, the Faber company had always been a pencil factory. The bankruptcy of Osmia was caught by Faber Castell in 1935 by participation. In 1950, Faber took over the Osmia factory in Dossenheim. Already in 1935, one of the founders of Osmia, Hermann Böhler, left the company and founded his own company because he was not able to follow the corporate policy of Osmia. The following picture might be a metaphor for the situation of that time. The Faber figure, an advertising figure that seems to be crushing an Osmia worker…

Dossenheim Faber Osmia.jpg [please look below]

In 1953, Faber elbowed the Osmia founder Georg Böhler to retire for a pension of 1000 Marks and he had to hand out the rest of the Osmia shares. Böhler died only months later. Afterwards, Böhler's wife received a pension of only 300 Marks…
Since 1954, Dossenheim successfully produced school fountain pens and ballpoint pens. Some of the brand names were kept; however, there were only piston and cartridge fillers. In this time your Progress 66 was made. The diamond is a former Osmia symbol. The case still says Faber Castell Dossenheim by Heidelberg on it, but the instruction manual already says Faber/Stein.
In the late 70s Faber had sales difficulties and Faber saw now problem in simply shutting down the factory in Dossenheim.

Frodo
Attachments
Projekt1.jpg
Projekt1.jpg (95.47 KiB) Viewed 11786 times

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Antwort 04
Autor: werner

Hallo Frodo,
That was a lot of well-founded background information….Thank you!

Werner

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Antwort 05

Hi Frodo,
So, thank you for the detailed information on the Osmia-Faber Castell pen and pencil. Maybe I have found a rarity after all! Only, I cannot write very well with the pen. The nib doesn't scratch, but it has the charm of a ballpoint pen. :|
Oh well, at least it is nice to look at.
Have a nice Sunday!
Christian

Olintonbin

Post by Olintonbin » August 26th, 2016, 8:50 am

You are the master of all What you most want to be like.

RTThown

-

Post by RTThown » November 1st, 2021, 1:23 pm

Prodám tyto pera od PARKERu
Parker I.M. Premium Matt Black, kuličkové pero
Parker I.M. Premium Metallic Brown, kuličkové pero
Parker I.M. Premium Deep Gun Metal Chiselled, kuličkové pero
Parker Urban Metro Metallic CT, roller
Parker Urban Fashion London Cab Black CT, roller

Faber Castell E-Motion Parquet Brown, keramické pero

Pera jsou nová, nepouživaná. Cena dohodou, možnost i výměny.

Rudolfo

Post by Rudolfo » June 23rd, 2023, 5:20 pm

Hallo Leute, wenn ihr einen Service für die Hochzeitsplanung braucht, empfehle ich euch Hochzeitsinsperationen für die Hochzeitsplanung. Hier finden Sie alle Tools und Ressourcen, die Sie brauchen, um Ihre Traumhochzeit zu planen. Dieser Service bietet Informationen zu verschiedenen Aspekten der Hochzeitsplanung, wie z.B. die Wahl des Veranstaltungsortes, die Erstellung der Gästeliste, die Auswahl eines Fotografen und Videofilmer, sowie Dekoration und Unterhaltung. Besonders wertvoll bei bridal-pair.de ist die Verfügbarkeit von erfahrenen Nutzern, die bereit sind, ihr Wissen und ihre Ratschläge zu teilen.