Moderator: werner

hotap

The highlights of the fountain pen history

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Thema: The highlights of the fountain pen history
Startbeitrag
Autor: Cori

So, here is the thread.
We'll start with Pelikan M 400. I'd say it's undefeatable. Who's against it?
al cori

hotap

Re: The highlights of the fountain pen history

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Antwort 01
Autor: Christian Mücke

Hello Everyone,

I'm for the Pelikan M 400 and extend to the Lamy 2000. It's already been praised highly in other threads of the forum – rightly in my opinion!!
Also a leading pen is the Schaeffer Legacy. Fabulous writing characteristics, detailed workmanship and timeless beauty all combined in one pen.

Greetings,
Christian

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Antwort 02
Autor: pelikaniac

What do you expect?
Of course, I have a number of M400s and a great Lamy 2000. But what I think is even more beautiful and particularly even more timeless is the "Kaweco Sport" . :D But the Pelikano, the Lamy Safari and the Pelikan Level also are highlights that kept "the unspeakable" from receiving the absolute power over the class rooms!!!

Greetings,
the Kaweconiac Jörg

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Antwort 03
Autor: penparadise

Well Jörg, and so we're be back to school fountain pens, :( but if that is what you want: All school fountain pens named have only been successful either before or after the drawback of the Montblanc "Carrera". So, whoever wants to talk about an ingenious school fountain pen must have the Montblanc "Carrera" listed first. :D
However, the Geha school fountain pen with its reserve tank, of course, deserves to be mentioned, as well.

Greetings
Axel (who cannot understand what is supposed to be so ingenious about e. g. a plain M400 or exemplars of the like. :lol: )

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Antwort 04
Autor: Tenryu

I wouldn't call the Level a highlight. The design is way too lousy. (Rather from the technical point of view, it might deserve the name.)

About the 400, I can only approve. I have an antique pen from the 50s, which I always have at hand. It might look as if it were in a bad shape (gold plating worn off), but it writes steadily and the mechanics (still in original) are nearly indestructible.

From the size of the pen, the M600 is my favorite.

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Antwort 05
Autor: Cori

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I recently got the 600 and I have to say, I like the 400 a thousand times more. I think the big Pelikan pens somehow all look so showy. I don't know why I got the pen and I keep asking myself if an 800 was really necessary…!
Whatever….

al cori

P.S.: The Aurora writes well if you decide staying home.

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:40 pm

Antwort 06
Autor: Dirk Barmeyer

Hello,
in my opinion, the M400 absolutely cannot be a highlight in the history of fountain pens, because it is only a copy of the 400. For me, highlights of the fountain pen history should be the following:
Soennecken 111
Lamy 2000
Schaeffer balanced, Snorkel, PFM
Waterman #7, Patrician, CF
Nettuno Superba
Aurora Duplex, 88, 2Cart, Hastil
Parker Duofold, Vacumatic, 51, 61
Wahl Doric
Elysee Edition 1
Omas 361
Pilot capless
Some limited editions by Montblanc.

Greetings,
Dirk

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Antwort 07
Autor: st.rochus

Hello Dirk,
Your choice definitely hits the mark of all fountain pen collectors!
As the title of the thread says: We're looking for "highlights of the fountain pen history". Consequently, we mean historical writing instruments. I agree with you on the Sonnecken 111 and on the Lamy 2000 (as already mentioned repeatedly).
The "Red Ripple Safeties" by Waterman, the old Toledo and from the newer models the "Serenite" by Waterman are beautiful pens, too.

Greetings Elke

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Antwort 08
Autor: Dirk Barmeyer

Dear Elke,
I'd love to get my hands on the T111, I don't dare to hope for more…
At least for the sake of its exceptional design the Serenite surely is a highlight.

Have a nice day,
Dirk

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Antwort 09
Autor: pelikaniac

Hello Axel,
If we'd only focus on the often very expensive designer pieces as extraordinary pens, we'd be fading out the reality of the 60s and 70s of the past century. In those times, nobody would have come up with the idea of giving the fountain pen a chance. Only because of the so called school fountain pen, most of us even got in touch with the subject fountain pens. I would even go as far as to say that it was the wide-spread introduction of the cartridge fillers that saved our beloved ones from distinction!
Nobody would call a VW Beatle a technical masterpiece, Mr. Porsche would surely have the one or other idea to share. However, that it has been a milestone in the automobile history is beyond every doubt. For this reason, the Pelikano, as well, is an absolute milestone in the German speaking history of fountain pens! Without it, there would be no M700 Toledo and no modern version of the 400 series and most probably, no one under the age of 50 would be writing with expensive exemplars, because nobody would have learned how to at school! Just think of all the millions of first graders who would have had to learn to write with a BIC ball point pen… :evil:

the Kaweconiac,
Jörg