The highlights of the fountain pen history

Moderator: werner

hotap

Re: The highlights of the fountain pen history

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Antwort 10
Autor: penparadise

Morning,
The expression "milestones" leave many ways of interpretation.
From the argumentative standpoint, Jörg, you are absolutely right. But then, the Parker 51 should be mentioned as "godfather" of the Pelikano, too, as the Pelikano basically was not an own development of Pelikan either…

However, the way I see it, expensive designer pieces and other exotic pens, as well, do not belong to the milestones. They might be pretty innovative, but don't play a larger role in view of the product acceptance. That is why they are not real milestones to me.

So, thank you, dear Dirk, I rather prefer your list, whereas I wouldn't count the models of the limited Montblancs to it – anyhow, I do like the idea of producing writing instruments in special, limited editions (however, it's not the idea of Montblanc). ;)

However, especially the Montblanc 149, which is quite simply a synonym for fountain pens, must be added to the list, even for settled Pelikan fans, or not, Jörg? 8-)

Best wishes,
Axel

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Antwort 11
Autor: Dirk Barmeyer

Dear Axel,
You are actually right, the MB 149 should not be forgotten, as it belongs to one of the few expensive pens that saved us over the 60s and 70s.

Greetings,
Dirk

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Antwort 12
Autor: math

Hello together,
my (personal) highlights are:
Aurora Hastil
Lamy CP1

plain and elegant.

kind regards,
Andreas

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Antwort 13
Autor: diogenes

The M400 cannot be seen as a copy, as Pelikan simply restarted the production of the pen, even if a little modernized (e. g. the ink feed is different and not as flexible). The M400 is a later version of the 400, such as the 400N and the 400NN. The 400 is a pen that might deserve to be called a milestone and remains to exist under the name M400, though the nib was renewed since its introduction to the market (even if not always to its best).

The only reason why I speak of "might" is because the 400 itself actually only is a later model of the 100. Compared to the 100, it cannot show any real innovations. Therefore, I say the 100 might be the greater milestone.

carpe diem!
diogenes

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Antwort 14
Autor: diogenes

You mention what I think a lot when I read these kinds of threads. A lot of people just start counting their favorite pens. But in my opinion, that does not go far enough. A milestone is a fountain pen that either has brought a very innovative achievement, which has already shown a certain effect on the further technical development of fountain pens; or it is a pen that fulfills what you have already mentioned: they show a certain product acceptance on the market.

Concerning the exotics: If there is an exotic model that cannot show the proper amount of product acceptance, however, its after-model runs successfully and improves the fountain pen production sustainably, then I would count this original model to the milestones, as well.

carpe diem!
diogenes

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Antwort 15
Autor: Wuffiline

To me, the Lamy Lady (aside from the Lamy 2000 for its timelessness) ranks among the milestones, too. On the one hand, for its unusual composition of materials, and on the other hand, for the fact alone, that a fountain pen producer created a joint project with a prestigious company which, is in this case, outside the particular sector of industry (Rosenthal).

greetings,
Renate

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Antwort 16
Autor: st.rochus

Hello Renate,
Even though I really like the Lamy Lady and also like writing with it, the combination of metal and porcelain is nothing new in the pen industry.
Over 100 years ago, there used to be such beautiful objects made by A.W. Faber, called pocket pens.
Beautiful, absolutely unique and barely to get today.
Or what about the beautiful exemplars made of rose enamel, e. g. the Safeties.
Speaking of material compositions, each "Pen of the Year" of Faber Castell ought to be listed, too. Thinking twice, I agree with some others before me that the Pelikan 100 is a real milestone. The colors, the mechanics, the design. And the great thing, even today is that you can still combine the single parts, even today!
Greetings Elke

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Antwort 17
Autor: isegrimmgo

I would like to bring up diogenes words again: Citation:

A milestone is a fountain pen that either has brought a very innovative achievement, which has already shown a certain effect on the further technical development of fountain pens; or it is a pen that fulfills what you have already mentioned: they show a certain product acceptance on the market.

.... and so, in this connection, the GEHA school fountain pen with its reserve ink chamber and especially with its piston filling mechanism must not be forgotten.
Which fountain pen combines the aspects of writing quality, product acceptance and durability more than this pen? Not only is it a milestone for few fanciers and collectors, but as a matter of fact, THE VW Beatle of the fountain pen history!
greetings,
Wolfgang

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Antwort 18
Autor: absia

Dear Wolfgang!

You've surely spoken a true word there!
Don't-forget-the-GEHA-greetings,
Peter

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Antwort 19
Autor: Linceo

Hello there,
as a fresh starting fountain pen collector, Günther led me to this thread by a link. Thanks again, I've read it with great interest.

My fountain pen milestones have been my red Geha including a reserve tank, made in 1974. It accompanied me with its indestructibility from the second grade throughout the time I spent at the university. Though, to that time, it already had already gotten company by an MB Noblesse and a Pelikan M400. Then I lost my Geha pen somewhere. But I really liked it a lot and I'd buy it again, if I could find another pen like it.

In a different thread, I asked about the fountain pen legends, which should not be missing in any fountain pen collections.
Aside from a personal affection to a writing instrument, which always plays a role, I also meant it from the technically innovative point of view.

How about the innovative contribution of the Lamy 27 und Parker 51? Can they be seen as milestones?

Linceo