hotap

Which converters are compatible?

Post by hotap » March 2nd, 2010, 12:03 pm

Topic: Which converters are compatible?
Startbeitrag
Author: bauks

Hello,
which converters are interchangeable?
I can’t imagine that, e.g. Faber-Castell makes its own converters. There is surely some producer behind it all that uses the same converters for fountain pens of other companies. Price differences aren’t really significant (are they?).
Or is the shape (not just the connection) so relevant, that you should only buy original parts?
I mean for the sake of flexibility, if the near-by store doesn’t have the required parts in stock.
Maybe we could create a “compatibility list“, from everybody’s experience?

hotap

Re: Which converters are compatible?

Post by hotap » March 2nd, 2010, 12:04 pm

Answer_01
Author: yoda

As an extra an ink cartridge compatibility list would be a good idea, too. Just an idea. Here is what I know:
Everything that takes Pelikan also takes Montblanc and Cartier. The other way around is more difficult, because Montblanc cartridges get slimmer towards the end, but have the same adapter as Pelikan.

The Parker cartridges also fit in Aurora fillers.

Pelikan fits in
Delta
Stipula
Montblanc (restrictions as mentioned )
Marlen
Jean Pierre Lepine
Cleo
Rotring (at least the Artpen)

Parker is incompatible
Waterman is incompatible
Lamy is incompatible
Sailor is incompatible
Sheaffer is incompatible. There are even different kinds of Sheaffer cartridges that can cause problems.
And then there are the universal cartridges that have a Lamy tip on one side and a Pelikan tip on the other. That adds Lamy to the Pelikan list, if the filler takes Lamy.

This way we get an idea which converter fits where. With converters you have to watch out even more than with cartridges, what length and diameter to take. In my Aurora Kona a Parker cartridge fits but only the Parker press converter, not the piston converter or pump converter.
I see a Matrix-Malen is no good.

But maybe others can add a few pieces of information and then we can collect and consolidate. (I promise nothing but that “guy“ could also be me).

Greetings to all
Hugo

hotap

Post by hotap » March 2nd, 2010, 12:05 pm

Answer_02
Author: Michael

Hello forum members,

for further completion:

- Pilot / Namiki has its own standard and is incompatible

Many greetings
Michael

hotap

Post by hotap » March 2nd, 2010, 12:05 pm

Answer_03
Author: absia

Hello together!

The question is good and long called for, because many converters may fit where one would never guess. I’ll start a list others can add to or correct.

This is my experience:
- The most normal-cartridge pens can be fitted with standard, i.e. Pelikan converters. These pens are, besides Pelikan fillers, Waterman, Rotring, Diplomat, Kaweco-Dia, Senator, Geha (the younger Models), Rambold, Montblanc, Elysée etc. and the most NoName- (Far eastern-?) or Store-brand fillers.
- Lamy- resp. Parker-converters can also be used universally, are compatible amongst eachother and also fit in Auroras (e.g. Parker press converters in Hastil). For Lamy this especially counts for the converters that fit in the Safari, the Persona or the Accent. They fit in every Parker.
- Really own nowhere else applicable converter types are used by Sheaffer and Cross. You have to buy the complete set right from the start, otherwise you run into problems trying to get the spare parts later on. This also counts for the cartridges. I don’t know if there are any others.

There are two difficulties with converters that are very pen- individual. The converter may fit in one pen and then won’t fit in the next pen of the same type and brand. One difficulty is the mouth size, i.e. the mouth piece opening that differs in tenth or hundredth millimeter sizes with cheap converters. The other difficulty is the piston shape. Cylindrical converters are no problem, as they fit everywhere especially in very slim fillers. Unfortunately they are rare and hardly produced anymore. It gets more problematical with the converters, which have a slightly broader shape around the middle section. This is often due to a metal ring placed there that stands off a bit. Sometimes you can pull this off and use the converter without the ring. It was that way with my Hastil. Usually though, it isn’t possible so the filler can only be used with cylindrical converters – if you find one. My cylindrical converters are all from Waterman and are many years old. The newer Waterman converters are shaped differently – no idea why.

That’s all folks! Hope others know more than I.

Greetings
Peter

PS: Guess that’s what happens when you talk on the phone too long in between. I was too late!

hotap

Post by hotap » March 2nd, 2010, 12:06 pm

Answer_04

Hello everyone,
It’s been a while but I wrote up that list for cartridge converters.
I worked in everything I knew and what I read here. A cross table is what turned out.

If anybody has further information I can include that into my table. And: No I will not offer an Excel version of it online. Maybe an Open-Office version. I hope it’s of some use to you as an html page.

The address:
http://www.giese-online.de/xref2.html

Greetings to all
Hugo

hotap

Post by hotap » March 2nd, 2010, 12:08 pm

Answer_05
Author: werner

Hello Hugo,

the article about the compatibility of cartridges also caused me to do some research. So I know how much work you went into. I hadn’t got that far yet. The HTML page so far covers with my own results.

I wanted to take the chance to say thanks for all the hard work! The link works. It doesn’t have tob e an Excel document or Open-Office one.
I also realized: universal cartridges, so also Pelikan cartridges should also work for these brands:
Caran d'Ache
Michel Perchin
DuPont
Montegrappa
Yard-O-Led
Bexley
Tombow

Aurora cartridges seem to be slightly different than Parker cartridges, you still should be able to use them though. Parker cartridges should also be usable for Hero fillers. (Shanghai)

Many Greetings
Werner

PS: Pelikan cartridges also fit in Cleo and Kaweco.

hotap

Post by hotap » March 2nd, 2010, 12:09 pm

Answer_06
Author: Dieter N

Hello,

for the daily use of blue and black ink the Herlitz-universal-cartridge is also an option, the ones from the super market that have two ends. It has a standard end and a Lamy end. This way the cartridge over rules all school fillers, even the most expensive ones, and is ideal for kids, because even a filler accident doesn’t mean you have to dispose of your remaining cartridges.
The old Geha cartridges used to be this way before Pelikan bought up the brand. These had a Pelikan end and a Geha end. So the old Geha pens don’t get very far with the standard cartridges.
Otherwise I remember that we have already often talked about the inside surface of the converters, and the ink flow. There were problems with the air bubble and dried up ink channels. The solution was the switch to cartridges and the filling with a syringe or a small spring in the converter.
Many Greetings

Dieter

hotap

Post by hotap » March 2nd, 2010, 12:10 pm

Answer_07
Author: werner

Hello Hugo,

one more thing about the cartridges. Visconti takes Pelikan cartridges, as well as 2 x short or long and all other with the so called "international connection".

Many greetings
Werner

hotap

Post by hotap » March 2nd, 2010, 12:11 pm

Answer_08

Hello
I don’t know anything about this compatibility. How is the experience in other forums? Can you really switch Pelikan and Waterman? I think the connectors are very different and have never dared it myself.

Greetings
Hugo

RTThown

-

Post by RTThown » September 13th, 2021, 11:15 am

Which one is better?
Theres 2 types of tamiya mini 4wd bearing, one is an open type and a sealed bearing. Which one is better?

Honestly, i found that the seal type is hard to clean when dirt are stuck inside.