Pelikan Nibs: Reduced Nib Choice

Moderator: werner

werner

Pelikan Nibs: Reduced Nib Choice

Post by werner » September 4th, 2012, 10:27 am

Hello all,

not for a long time there is discussion about a reduced nib choise. Now here is the official statement for all of you.

“For years, we have noted that the need for oblique fountain pen nibs is going down. Moreover, we have realized that quite often, people ordered an oblique nib when they really wanted an italic nib. This is why we have finally taken the decision to discontinue the oblique nibs. However, we currently still have stocks for repairs. Besides this, the need for italic nibs is covered by our IB (Italic Broad) nib for the M800, which can be ordered separately.

A speculation tells us that the demand for oblique nibs is only 1 % of the total nib producion. So I can understand this step.

Best regards
Werner

Leftieoverwriter

Re: Pelikan Nibs: Reduced Nib Choice

Post by Leftieoverwriter » September 23rd, 2012, 3:24 am

This is horrible news as I recently discovered as a left handed writer that the Oblique Medium on my MB 149, Oblique Broad on my Pelikan 600 and the the Oblique Broad, Broad that I recently purchased Pelikan 200 are not too bad in my hand. Seems I am that 1 % purchasing these lovely nibs. Huge mistake not more folks are using the OM, OB nibs in my opinion.
I use a RIM Playbook and a Fountain Pen ....Friends call me "Mags"

tandaina

Post by tandaina » July 28th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I am very disheartened by this. One of the chief reasons that Pelikan is my brand of choice is because I use almost exclusively oblique nibs. I use them for their intended purpose, my grip naturally rotates the pen slightly in alignment to the paper.

I also own almost entirely OBB or OB nibs. I do not use F, or M nibs at all. And prefer BB size nibs. I realize Pelikan feels I should then be happy with an italic nib and if it weren't for that oblique need I'd agree with them. However, a standard italic nib does NOT work for me. I would need an oblique italic, or the OBB nibs I've been using all along.

For me this puts Pelikan right back into competition with every other fountain pen maker, I will have to buy a pen and have its nib altered to my hand, which likely means I'll be buying far fewer Pelikan pens and nibs. It's the end of an era, and I think the closing of an important chapter for fountain pens. Not in a good way.

RTThown

-

Post by RTThown » November 2nd, 2021, 10:50 am

You commit an error. Let's discuss.

xeniate

Post by xeniate » April 6th, 2023, 11:28 am

tandaina wrote:
July 28th, 2013, 10:45 pm
I am very disheartened by this. One of the chief reasons that Pelikan is my brand of choice is because I use almost exclusively oblique nibs. I use them for their intended purpose, my grip naturally rotates the pen slightly in alignment to the paper.

I also own almost entirely OBB or OB nibs. I do not use F, or M nibs at all. And prefer BB size nibs. I realize Pelikan feels I should then be happy with an italic nib and if it weren't for that oblique need I'd agree with them. However, a standard italic nib does NOT work for me. I would need an oblique italic, or the OBB nibs I've been using all along.

For me this puts Pelikan right back into competition with every other fountain pen maker, I will have to buy a pen and have its nib altered to my hand, which likely means I'll be buying far fewer Pelikan pens and nibs. It's the end of an era, and I think the closing of an important chapter for fountain pens. Not in a good way.
I can't recommend this article enough - it's a must-read for anyone who cares about making a difference in the world.

minho266

Post by minho266 » April 26th, 2023, 11:01 am

Thanks for everyone's interesting and useful sharing, usa map I will visit often to find the necessary information.

andree23

Post by andree23 » June 22nd, 2023, 11:00 am

The statement mentions that there are still stocks available for repairs, so existing oblique nibs can still be serviced. Additionally, the italic nib option, specifically the IB (Italic Broad) nib for the M800, can be ordered separately to fulfill the need for italic nibs.

larryellison

Post by larryellison » September 12th, 2023, 4:51 am

The demand for skewer nibs accounts for only 1% of total nib production. This is a very small number and should also consider stopping production of this oblique nib

Angel17

Post by Angel17 » October 18th, 2023, 10:15 am

This site is full of nice and wonderful blog posts. Looking forward to reading more.