R200 variations?

Moderator: werner

andygold

R200 variations?

Post by andygold » May 23rd, 2014, 5:25 pm

First post on the forum.

At least 11 years ago I purchased the remaining Pelikan inventory of a local stationary store that was going out of business. The price was right so I purchased the dozen or so R200 roller ball pens they had left (along with dozens of pens from Parker, Waterman, & 1 Bill Blass).

Of the Pelikans, I still have 8 left. They all have the R200 tag inside the box. I have green, blue, and gray colored marbled barrels, one in all black and one in a cross between blue and gray marbled. The thing is that the pens all seem to be a little bit different. I can group them into 4 distinct groups. Some I can say look to be pre-1997, and some post-1997, but 2 don't fall into either group. They all have the R200 tag in the box, but some have extra gold rings on the cap along with grey engraved emblems with 2 baby birds (pre-1997?) while others are gold silk screened (post 1997), and there are two that don't fit either group (maybe parts switched???).

I didn't want to go through the motions yet of photoing each and figuring out how to post images yet as I'm not sure if this is the proper venue for this.

So, if this is the proper place, and if there is someone here up to the task that might be able to help me figure out exactly what I have model wise (are they actually all R200s, or variations), or possibly rarities, it would be appreciated. On one, the tag inside read R200, but the outside of the box had a label that read 250.

If I get the go-ahead, I'll start to photo them all and then figure out how to post the images.

Thank you,

andy

werner

Re: R200 variations?

Post by werner » May 25th, 2014, 10:44 am

Hi Andy,

I think it will help, if you make photos one from every line to identify your rollerballs.
Please feel free to upload your pictures and I think some people will help you.

Best regards
Werner

andygold

Post by andygold » May 25th, 2014, 9:17 pm

Well let's see if I can attach these correctly...

All 8 pens are roller balls. They all have 2 chicks on the caps - 2 engraved and 6 silk screened. 7 of them have an R200 tag attached. The second one down in the full picture (blue one with old cap and new body had a hand written tag on the box listing it as a 250, although I'm not even sure what a 250 series is...

The top two pens have the pre 1997 style cap, yet the second one down has a gold ring at the piston knob (is that what they are called on a roller ball? I would think not, but I don't know what else to call it).. And the third one down that has the post 1997 cap is missing the gold piston knob ring.

Now that I look at them together, When looking at the pic with all of the pens...I'm wondering if someone at the store switched the piston knobs on those two pens.
If I were to switch the knobs on those two pens they they would all fit nicely into either the pre and post '97 categories.

Before I do that, is it possible that Pelikan made a mashup of parts when they were switching over from old to new style back in 1997?

My suit and tie pen is the mixed up blue one. I like the old domed cap with double ring, but I prefer the new "ringed" knob!!! :)

Any thoughts as to what I have here?

Moderator: don't know if this is allowed. If not, please edit it or ask me to edit it...
Are any of these considered more collectible than the others? Do people look for Pre '97 vs. Post '97? Are they collectible at all? Are they considered better quality than the new production models? Are they more "valuable" than new production pens?
I'm looking to possibly get rid of some of these. I see that the retail is around $80 to $100 US for a brand new production unit, and used ones auction for around $50. Would any of these be worth more/same/less than that (they are all brand new in the box except for my personal one).

If you had these and were going to keep a few, which would you recommend keeping, and why?

Sorry for all the questions, but no one around where I live probably even knows what a Pelikan is....

Thank you,

Andy
Attachments
CAM00543 (Large).jpg
CAM00543 (Large).jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 6241 times
CAM00562 (Large).jpg
From top: a partial of the black, Blue, blue/grey, blue, grey
CAM00562 (Large).jpg (83.79 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
CAM00560 (Large).jpg
From top: Black, blue, blue/grey, blue, grey, black, green, green
CAM00560 (Large).jpg (100.35 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
CAM00558 (Large).jpg
From top: Black pre '97, blue pre/post '97, blue/grey pre/post '97
CAM00558 (Large).jpg (77.52 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
CAM00548 (Large).jpg
CAM00548 (Large).jpg (131.97 KiB) Viewed 6239 times

werner

Post by werner » May 26th, 2014, 5:30 pm

andygold wrote:The top two pens have the pre 1997 style cap ...... And the third one down that has the post 1997 cap ....
Hi Andy,

Your identyfication is right, you have 8 rollerballs (2 pre 1997 and 6 post 1997). As you wrote I think also that someone at the store switched the piston knobs on those two pens. I think that because of the hand written tag to upvalue the R200 to a R250.
The fountain pens M200 have a stainless steel nib, the M250 have a 14 carat gold nib. This is the only different between this both lines but both fountains pens have not the golden ring near the piston knob.
In my opinion both lines have the same quality and are not different in valuable. It is a personal preference what line users prefer.
For the value of this rollerballs please have a look to eBay. That is the best way for this.

Best regards
Werner

RobinStroman

Post by RobinStroman » December 10th, 2019, 3:38 pm

You have very high quality photos, I was impressed.
Which photo editor do you use? online or offline?
I use this for now there you can increase the detail and improve the quality.
But I'm looking for new options, please advise.

cobybrian

Post by cobybrian » September 27th, 2023, 7:08 am

It's fascinating to hear about your collection of Pelikan R200 roller ball pens with various intriguing variations. This forum is indeed an appropriate place for discussing such topics. While I can't see the pens firsthand without images, it would be helpful to the community if you could provide photos to aid in identifying these variations and potential rarities. The discrepancy with the R200 tag inside and the label on the box as R250 is certainly intriguing. Please go ahead and start photographing them, and when you're ready to share, you can to upload the images for fellow collectors, like , to examine and provide insights. Your collection sounds like a treasure trove for pen enthusiasts!

Angel17

Post by Angel17 » October 18th, 2023, 10:06 am

Very nice photo. It is a high-quality and very nice website.

Vorbith

Post by Vorbith » November 17th, 2023, 3:42 pm

Hello! Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you liked the photo and found the website to be of high quality. I think the success of the site depends on the quality of the photos. It is also good when there are hashtags on the site, in particular then it is convenient. If there's anything else you'd like to share or inquire about, feel free to let me know! Thank you for everything.

Angel17

Post by Angel17 » December 1st, 2023, 2:44 pm

I appreciate this one. Thank you for sharing. keep up the good work.

Mraks

Post by Mraks » February 18th, 2024, 4:08 am

Capture the joy and magic of the holiday season with our heartwarming Santa Claus stock photos. From classic santa claus poses to behind-the-scenes glimpses of the festive figure, these images evoke the spirit of giving, making them perfect for Christmas-themed projects, greeting cards, and advertisements that spread warmth and cheer.