Moderator: werner

werner

Sheaffer 300

Post by werner » March 25th, 2010, 10:08 am

Thema: Sheaffer 300
Startbeitrag
Autor: Christian Mücke

Hello Everyone,

has anyone made any experiences with the Sheaffer 300 yet? Visually, I like it a lot, but what about its values?

If I've seen it right, it is equipped with the reliable Prelude nib. That would be a good start, at least.

Christian

werner

Re: Sheaffer 300

Post by werner » March 25th, 2010, 10:10 am

Antwort: 01
Autor: DanielH

I would like to know more about the Sheaffer 300 myself, too. The model in dark red looks really classy and the price seems moderate. Too bad that it comes with a ballpoint pen; I really have no need for it.
Does anyone know if Shaeffer generally include a converter to the fountain pen, or does it have to be ordered / purchased in single?

werner

Post by werner » March 25th, 2010, 10:11 am

Antwort: 02
Autor: Joachim Kabus

Hello Daniel,

There's a shop (e-shop-muehlheim) on eBay where you can buy single fountain pens including a converter. The design in chrome black is available for 53.10 Euros + 3.90 Euros for delivery, so about 35 Euros less than the set with ballpoint pen.

Hope I was of any help.

Joachim

werner

Post by werner » March 25th, 2010, 10:15 am

Antwort: 03
Autor: Rene

http://www.fuellhalter.de/index.php?list=KAT207

offers it at a moderate price, too, singly incl. a converter.
I tried out the 300 in a stationary store a while ago, but it wasn't my thing. However, this is my personal impression. I had the choice between buying it in single or as a set with the ballpoint pen. A converter was included. I suppose it comes along with the set.

Kind regards,

René

werner

Post by werner » March 25th, 2010, 10:16 am

Antwort: 04

Hello Rene,

That offer sounds even better, because they offer free delivery at a price of 30 Euros. Plus, they have the red one…

There might be other colors at request.

I like the color and design of the 300 (in black and red), but if you haven't tried writing with it yet, the purchase might be a mistake! I would only buy it on exchange.

One converter and two cartridges are included in the delivery, which certainly is not standard procedure at every company….

Joachim

werner

Post by werner » March 25th, 2010, 10:17 am

Antwort: 05

Hello Rene,

I forgot to ask: what was your impression of the 300 and why did you decide not to buy it?

Joachim

werner

Post by werner » March 25th, 2010, 10:19 am

Antwort: 06
Autor: Rene

Hello Joachim,

I can only tell you my personal opinion. There surely are a lot of people who like the Shaeffer.

I like the kind of nibs that e. g. Pelikan, Montblanc, Cross Century, Diplomat, Kaweco... etc. make, so to say nibs that have a certain ratio in length and width. I didn't like the length of the Shaeffer nib in comparison with the width. I seemed too squished to me. I had the same feeling with the ratio of the length from the bottom end of the nib to the tip of it. This way the hole is positioned almost in the center. (I hope you know what I mean.)
On other nibs e. g. on those of Pelikan, the size ratio is s different one and the bottom part of the nib is a little longer. This way it makes an impression of being long drawn. The stainless steel nib wrote well and glided smoothly over the paper. Don't expect too much flexibility. Even the golden nibs of today have their problems with it.
All in all the pen is something to look at and for 49,- Euros, there's not much you can do wrong. It seems to be robust and a converter comes along with it and the color is a great one, too. Personally, I really liked the way it looked a lot with a stuck on cap and the little chrome cap on the barrel and the chromed protection cap in contrast to the colored barrel make the pen look very fancy.
My decision why I did not like it came from a feeling of mine. I didn't like the nib too much and I was missing the feeling: "THAT pen is exactly what I was looking for".

René

PS: By the way, I have a real compromise pen at home: the "Cross Apogee": a relatively thick barrel and a small golden nib in comparison. Looks stupid, but it writes well :) :) :)

werner

Post by werner » March 25th, 2010, 10:20 am

Antwort: 07

Hello Rene,

Thanks for the info. I see what you mean. A good example why it is important to try the pen first, but if you can't, that's the way it is! Sometimes you can make a compromise, but if the nib is not okay in general, it might be better to keep your fingers from it, otherwise it might upset you even more later on (even if the pen looks good).

Joachim

Ekararts

Post by Ekararts » July 19th, 2018, 10:42 am

I'm looking to buy the Sheaffer 300 is offline.

raichad0

Post by raichad0 » October 7th, 2019, 11:43 am

werner wrote:
March 25th, 2010, 10:20 am
Antwort: 07

Hello Rene,

Thanks for the info. I see what you mean. A good example why it is important to try the pen first, but if you can't, that's the way it is! Sometimes you can make a compromise, but if the nib is not okay in general, it might be better to keep your fingers from it, otherwise it might upset you even more later on (even if the pen looks good).

Joachim
Right!!