Hunting for a Diplomat pen

Moderator: werner

werner

Hunting for a Diplomat pen

Post by werner » February 5th, 2010, 11:01 am

Thema: The Diplomat
Startbeitrag
Autor: Saarländerin

There are 16 different specimens, one even more beautiful than the other (especially the great Classic models). Even after years of use, they still look as good as new.
And – other manufacturers should follow this example –each of the pens still writes completely problem﷓free, without lapses. One should be satisfied possessing such a pen. So am I. However, my hunting instinct will not give me any peace. The "Balance" definitely is a must-have. Some might say that the "Balance" pen is a good-looking copy of the Waterman Sérénité, but at least it is in an affordable price range.
Anyhow, what I like about the Diplomat series is that they have never let me down. Unfortunately, no stationary shop close by has such a pen so that I could try it myself, so therefore my question to you is: Does anybody have a "Balance" pen and can tell me more about it?

Can't wait to get some answers!

Greetings from the Saarländerin

werner

Re: Hunting for a Diplomat pen

Post by werner » February 5th, 2010, 11:05 am

Antwort 01
Autor: Wuffiline

Hello Saarländerin,

I have a Diplomat Balance in black. My personal opinion:

Design: It is shown in black with a silver gripping section on the internet. However, that's not the case. The gripping section has a slightly green touch. To be honest with you, I didn't really like that too much (maybe because I had expected it to look different). So, the pen isn't really one of my favorites.

Surface feel: It feels well-balanced in my hand, but is rather heavy with 35 grams. The gripping section is satinized, so it feels softer and blunter when writing with it. I, for my part, like that.

Writing behavior: Unlike told, it is not deliverable with a size F nib (at least not when I bought mine); it wears an M-nib and is rather thin. For example, it is a lot thinner than the nib of my Pelikan 320 and Celebry pen and they both have an F-nib.
Right now my Balance pen is filled with an ink mixture of PR Blue Suede and R&K Verdigris. It rights immediately, even though I had it in my backpack for the past 4 weeks. The nib doesn't write very softly, but it feels okay.

Other: The lid cannot be put on the back of the pen. The lid is rather hard to open and when opened, you can see it has an about 4mm wide "sheet edge" (I don't know how to explain better). It makes the pen rather cheap-looking, the color coating is coming off there, too. Additionally, when closing the lid, it is not closing over a cone-shaped gripping section; so somehow, I always kind of nudge it, a little.

Conclusion: I find the shape of the pen interesting, the pen functions well, however the product realization in detail is not all that significant. A good plodder, so to say.

Greetings,
Renate

werner

Post by werner » February 5th, 2010, 11:09 am

Antwort 02
Autor: Saarländerin

Thanks for all the information and the detailed report, Renate!

Greetings from the Saarländerin

werner

Post by werner » February 5th, 2010, 11:10 am

Antwort 03
Autor: mikel

Hello Saarländerin,
I have a Balance in black with an M-sized nib, too. In the most points, I agree with Renate. The nib is more a thin M-nib and for my perception, rather hard. The ink flow is excellent. The metal-coating feels good when holding the pen, but it already came off on my pen on some spots. The pen is well-balanced it and I really like the way it looks. The only point I have to correct Renate in is that the lid can be stuck on the back of the pen. The "sheet edge" she had been talking about can be stuck into the end of the barrel. It makes the pen look even more interesting.
All in all, the Balance pen is a visually extraordinary and reliable plodder. I use it to write my time schedule and have been asked about it a lot of times. Right now it being sold for 71 Euros by a reliable merchant whom we all know and is situated in the Frankenthal. It's a fair price, the way I see it.

Greetings from Michael

werner

Post by werner » February 5th, 2010, 11:12 am

Antwort 04
Autor: Wuffiline

Hey Mikel,
I had to try out what you wrote about the lid, how it can be stuck on the end of the pen. I never came up with that idea! So, sorry for the misinformation and thanks for the supplement.
Merry Christmas to all of you and hopefully, you'll find some nice pens under the tree.
(I already know which one I'm getting)

Renate

Popypichaya

Post by Popypichaya » February 26th, 2019, 10:28 am

I'm really happy to have the opportunity to read useful content like this. It makes me very impressed with this website.

RTThown

-

Post by RTThown » September 12th, 2021, 11:34 pm

I will be using slabs but i have a bandsaw so it doesnt matter to me if they are slabs or the full horn i can always cut them on the bandsaw. Only need 6 inchs worth of horn or so and enough to cover 1 or 1 1/4 wide color doesnt matter white or brown both would proably be nice. IF you can get a hold of a piece let me know how much.

Thanks

Ross

bellabrownbe

Post by bellabrownbe » April 17th, 2023, 5:19 am

About Pulp Addiction. Originating in the Hunter Valley in 2011, Pulp Addiction now operating online with our warehouse at Somerton Victoria.
kick the buddy