Startbeitrag
Autor: Zollinger

Instructions in picture and text form:

picture dismounting_400_140.jpg see below

1_Soak your fountain pen in water for 1 day
2_Unscrew the nib section counter-clockwise
3_Soak your fountain pen in water for 1 day again
4_Push the ink feed out of sleeve
5_Affix barrel using a half-shell (made of soft wood)
__Heat barrel slightly, e. g. with a hair dryer or with warm water
6_Push piston-filling mechanism out starting from the front going to the back.

Good luck to all of you!
Zollinger
Attachments
dismounting_400_140.jpg
dismounting_400_140.jpg (261.92 KiB) Viewed 12672 times

werner

Re: Pelikan 400 and 140, The big dismounting

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Antwort_01
Autor: werner

Hi Christof,

Thank you for the informative and demonstrative posting on how to dismount the models 400 and 140. I know from a lot of requests that there are quite a few people out there who will find this posting very useful. And again the saying proves to be true: "A picture is worth a thousand words." The number of views to this thread in such short time since you've posted it shows just how interested the readers really are.

Werner

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 7:34 pm

Antwort_02

Hello Werner

I'm glad you like it…I guess I was thinking, now that you can upload pictures on Penexchange, why not give it a try!

I, too, think that the instructions will be useful to a lot of people. The only thing I am missing is a manufacturer who offers spare piston sealings for Pelikan pens! Pelikan (just like all other manufacturers of fountain pens) does not offer single spare parts. I think that would help an even larger number of people…

Christof Zollinger

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Antwort_03
Autor: absia

Hi Christof!

Thanks a lot for the enlightening report! Brevity is the soul of wit. However, after taking a closer look, I do have a couple of questions:
- Can you recommend a certain wood for the half-shell?
- Can these shells be bought or do I have to make my own?
- Are there any substitute materials I can use, e.g. synthetic materials? Solid rubber, maybe?
- What kind of tool do you recommend for pushing out the piston-filling mechanism? The tool on your picture looks like some kind of tobacco tamper, but I guess that would be too thick.
- Where do you position it and how thick should (may) it be?
- Does the filling button have to be turned open before starting?
- Does the black part stay on the barrel?
- Are my questions just plain stupid?
- Maybe it's just me…?
As you can see: My courage has yet failed to get the better of me and let me give it a try.

See you,
Peter

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Antwort_04

Hello Peter

Don't worry about it! Let's do this step by step:

1. Soft wood means any kind of conifer wood, like spruce or fir…I'm sure balsawood will do the job, too.
2. The half shell cannot be bought, but it isn't that hard to make, either. First, you drill a hole into the piece of wood (12mm in diameter) then you cut it in two halves.
3. There probably are different materials you can use, but wood is probably the most affordable and it is easy to work with.
4. Use a dowel stick made of beech wood, 5mm in diameter, approx. 10 cm in length.
5. Important: The twist button has to stay closed. Only this way the forces can be transfered equally to the rest of the pen without damaging the thread by putting a too great impact on it.
6. What do you mean by black part?
7. Your questions are absolutely justified.
8. No.

One more hint: If the sealing of the piston was leaky, then ink might have run into the mechanism, it is important to try to soak it and, in doing so, remove the dried on ink. If that is the case, use the piston-filling mechanism while holding the other end of the pen under water. This way the water will get behind the piston. For this, however, the ink dried ink has to come loose again, otherwise you will damage the sealing even more.

Hope it helps.

Gruss Christof

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Antwort_05
Autor: absia

Dear Christof,
Thank you for your answer and the encouragement. The black part that I mean is the part you see in image 5 on the left side of your green arrows pointing at the ink feed.

Thanks again, have a nice weekend!

Peter

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Antwort_06

Hello Peter

You mean the gripping section. In contrast to other fountain pen manufacturers, the gripping section and the barrel of Pelikan pens are always one piece. It has already been the case with earlier models of the Pelikan 100. The striped sleeve around the barrel usually can be pulled off after soaking it for a while.

Christof

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Antwort_07
Autor: Münsterländer

Hi Christof,

My compliments on the illustration. It turned out really well.

Obviously you have your experience in pulling off sleeves from barrels. It's exactly the same problem I have. How can I get the sleeve to sit tightly on the barrel again?

Thanks in advance.

Ewald

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Antwort_08

Hello Ewald

When the sleeve is positioned correctly, I would just use some shellac to glue it on. Shellac has the big advantage that it will come off again when held under water. But don't use too much. Apart from that, I don't see how there can be that much room that it will wiggle. Obviously, your barrel mysteriously shrunk. In that case, there's not much you can doyou’re your pen the one with the brown window? If not, then I really am surprised, because the green Bakelite sleeves usually do not shrink. Why not send your fountain pen to a professional. I'm sure you'll find a good address here in the forum.

Christof

werner

Post by werner » February 17th, 2010, 7:47 pm

Antwort_09
Autor: Münsterländer

Hello, Christof,

First of all, THANKS for your quick answer.

The green oversleeve around the barrel of my 100 pen is positioned correctly and is "wiggle-free". I just can't get it to come off when turning it and then to stripe it off forwards.

So, I don't think that the barrel shrunk.

Brown viewing window? I can't find one. Or do you mean the "naked" barrel, after the oversleeve has come off? It looks more greenish to me.

I've uploaded 3 pictures (pretty big and unfortunately a little blurry with my posting ("Pelikan 100: the secret of the loose barrel"). You can see the pen there pretty well. Maybe you can have a quick look at it?

Finally, I'd love to try the trick with the shellac, but where can I buy it nowadays?

Ewald