Moderator: werner

werner

Pelikan 100: The secret of the loose barrel

Post by werner » February 18th, 2010, 9:09 am

Thema: Pelikan 100: The secret of the loose barrel
Startbeitrag
Autor: Münsterländer

Dear members of the forum,
Please share your opinion with me on a topic of which I do not share the same opinion with a sales lady. Okay, one thing at a time:
In the past days I was finally successful in purchasing the below shown PELIKAN 100 in an affordable price range. I think it might be one of the first PELIKAN fountain pens from the year1929/1930, because of its measurements, but especially because of the cap, which doesn't have a decorative metal ring, but two indicated rings at the bottom of the cap. When I first opened the pen, I've noticed that the green marbled "oversleeve" is sitting loosely on the barrel. I can pull it all the way to the nib (see third picture). Without being held by the barrel, the marbled overlay is highly sensitive to breakage. When I asked the oh so pleasant and helpful sales lady, she said it has always benn that way and in her opinion, it is a normal cause. So, I thought it was not worth mentioning when I read through the auctioneer's description. Afterall, I don't think that is actually meant to be that way, because when I try to twist open the piston filling mechanism, the whole barrel turns with it. I have to press the overlay tightly onto the barrel to twist open the mechanism. I don't think that was Günther Wagner's idea of a well-functioning pen (may God rest his soul).
I'd love to hear
a) what any of you think about my rather casual identification and
b) what you have to say about the secret of the loose barrel
Thanks in advance!!!
Ewald
Attachments
PELIKAN 100 geschlossen.jpg
PELIKAN 100 geschlossen.jpg (178.11 KiB) Viewed 9597 times
PELIKAN 100 geöffnet.jpg
PELIKAN 100 geöffnet.jpg (180.9 KiB) Viewed 9564 times
Pelikan_100_runtergelassene_Binde.jpg
Pelikan_100_runtergelassene_Binde.jpg (111.28 KiB) Viewed 9574 times

werner

Re: Pelikan 100: The secret of the loose barrel

Post by werner » February 18th, 2010, 9:11 am

Antwort 01
Autor: hotap

Hello Ewald,
First of all, I would like to welcome you to the Penxchange-Club.
Again, I am not an expert and there surely are enough experts who can give you better ansers to your questions. We have 3 Pelikan 100s and/or 100Ns and on all of them, the overlay is tightly connected to the barrel. It should be the same with all other pens, as well. I would say from the way the cap looks that your pen is from the time after June 1942. After that date, only fountain pens without the rings were allowed to be produced. However, the pens were one piece and had no rings indicated.
The nib had an air hole that was shaped like a heart. Only after 1930 it was replaced with a round-shaped air hole. (Source: Pelikan Writing Instruments 1927-1997). You might not know the nice website that our friend Werner created. It is very recommendable. Here, you will find all kinds of information on Pelikan fountain pens.
http://www.ruettinger-web.de/

Günter
PS:
Certainly, the page of Martin Lehmann can be recommended, too.
http://www.pelikan-guide.de/

werner

Post by werner » February 18th, 2010, 9:12 am

Antwort 02
Autor: Werner

Hello Ewald,
Generally, Günter categorized the fountain pen in question correctly. It is a writing instrument produced around 1942. I have a short comment on the loose overlay. Surely, it is loose due to material contraction. It is a common damage of writing instruments of the mentioned period.

Werner

werner

Post by werner » February 18th, 2010, 9:13 am

Antwort 03
Autor: Münsterländer

Good Morning together,
Thank you, Werner and Günter for your answers on my two questions.
So it is from 1942. I was able to read about the engraved cap rings instead of metal ones on the Pelikan guide of Martin Lehmann. One more question: Do you think I should let a professional (PELIKAN-Service, Hanover) glue it on? I think, if I don't have it fixed soon, it might come off and I don't dare gluing it on myself.

Ewald

Bo Bo Olson

Post by Bo Bo Olson » January 5th, 2011, 12:33 am

I have a few German War pens, where they have no cap rings and only the rills/indentations in that the metal for the cap rings were needed for war materials.

I can't quite read the nib....to be a War Pen...1938 and later it could not be gold. Gold was taken from the German pens in 1938.

It could well be though one of the famous German stainless steel nibs, well known for being very very good.

If it is gold, then it is from pre 'mid 38 with a different cap, or some one put a gold nib on it from another pen.

Phoebe56

Post by Phoebe56 » March 24th, 2023, 11:20 am

Bo Bo Olson wrote:
January 5th, 2011, 12:33 am
I have a few German War pens, where they have no cap rings and only the rills/indentations in that the metal for the cap rings were needed for war materials.

I can't quite read the nib....tiny fishingto be a War Pen...1938 and later it could not be gold. Gold was taken from the German pens in 1938.

It could well be though one of the famous German stainless steel nibs, well known for being very very good.

If it is gold, then it is from pre 'mid 38 with a different cap, or some one put a gold nib on it from another pen.
That's what I wanna say! Thanks

jessica112

Post by jessica112 » March 27th, 2023, 5:07 am

Congratulations to you for getting the PELIKAN 100 at a reasonable price. If it was manufactured from 1929/1930 then it's understandable that the pen cap is loose death run 3d. Or we can believe the seller's word that the pen's original nature is like that.

GracieFay

Post by GracieFay » May 17th, 2023, 10:46 am

I'm happy for you that you were able to purchase the PELIKAN 100 at a fair price. The loose pen cap is reasonable if it was produced in 1929 or 1930. geometry dash

Vier1964

Post by Vier1964 » September 6th, 2023, 11:10 am

Congratulations on your purchase of the PELIKAN 100 fountain pen! It's fun to add a vintage pen to your collection. Based on the description you provided, it looks like you bought an early model PELIKAN 100, probably from 1929 or 1930.

Angel17

Post by Angel17 » October 18th, 2023, 10:25 am

Thanks for sharing these ideas. I am happy to read this.