Moderator: werner

hotap

Old Pelikans

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Thema: Old Pelikans
Startbeitrag
Autor: rote_pappkiste

Hello Friends,
I would like to start collecting older models. Unfortunately my experience does not reach that far. The models I've got in mind are:
- 100N (1948)
- 400 (1955)

Both apparently are in a good condition. Can anyone tell me anything about the two?

Marcel

hotap

Re: Old Pelikans

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Antwort 02
Autor: Werner

Hello Marcel,

If they are in a good condition, I'd say they are worth collecting and are also still useful as everyday pens. A precondition might be that you like the size of the pens.

I myself possess both models and they are in everyday use with all kinds of colored inks. What I particularly like about the pens are the nibs of this production period. They aren't as rigid as the nibs of today. As this does not count for all nibs of the past, I would recommend you'd try them first. This might be a very helpful aspect, if possible.

I hope I was able to help.

Werner

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Antwort 03
Autor: rote_pappkiste

Hello Werner,

Thank you for your advice. I've always been extra careful when buying a new fountain pen, even more if they were already used. Maybe I should just dare myself for one time.

Marcel

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Antwort 04
Autor: Christian OSB

Hello Marcel,
Keeping a watch for older writing instruments is a good idea, from my perspective. I myself write and work a lot with Pelikan fountain pens. As already mentioned elsewhere in the forum, the pre-war 100 Ns and 400NNs are my daily companions at the office. I especially like the 100 N for its flexible and very soft writing nib. Even longer passages can be written without cramping after a while. The thought of the nib being damaged – unthinkable! The 400 NN does not have such a flexible nib, but a very even and soft ink flow. Filled with red ink, I mostly use this pen for my accountings, but also for making notes. I especially like the shimmering barrel. I like the stripes in tortoiseshell a lot and I've never seen another Pelikan pen in this color or one with a similar shimmering effect.
I use both pens at a regular office rate, I don't particularly spare them, but I respect them for their age. Both pens are absolutely reliable.
It's the same with a 400 from the 50s that is equipped with an EF nib. I use this pen every evening when I write in my diary. The fine nib allows me to write many lines on a limited amount of space. The writing remains smooth and the ink flow equal. The nib does not scratch, either.
Other 400 and 140 models are in use, all very reliable. Every once in a while you get to hear that old pens leak. Luckily, I cannot share that experience. And so I can only encourage you to buy an older Pelikan model. And should the nib not fit your handwriting, there is always Penexchange.
Greetings and have fun with your writing instruments!
Christian

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Antwort 05
Autor: Melanie

Good evening, I just got myself my first Oldie. A Pelikan EF from the early 50s. I am so curious!!! After the old models having received such approval, there was no way around it. And as an old nostalgic myself, I like the design a lot, too. I'm still fancying with a MB 234 1/2. You have to be open for different ways and things! :D

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Antwort 06
Autor: Saarländerin

The Pelikan 140 EF was my first school fountain pen (in the 50s of the past century). :D
In memory of my good grade in handwriting, I got myself one and exchanged the nib with a 585 nib. Somehow it seems the name Pelikan is not written in continuous lines, but it looks dotted. My original 140 pen did not have a 585 nib and surely, I wouldn't get an A for my handwriting today
I will go look for this nib on the page of our forum member Werner:
http://www.ruettinger-web.de/pelikan-federn-logo.html

Bye for now,

Roswitha

hotap

Post by hotap » March 9th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Antwort 07
Autor: MichaT2a

I found pieces of a 140. When I went to school, our teacher once told us to clean out the class room cabinets. Throw it all away, was the order. In one of the cabinets, I found lots of single pieces of a fountain pen and when put together, it made a 140 pen with a golden nib, which I still have today. :mrgreen:

Greetings,

Micha

Bo Bo Olson

Post by Bo Bo Olson » January 5th, 2011, 12:22 am

My 140 OB was my first semi-flex nib. And I chased nothing else after wards but semi-flex nibs.

My 400NN is a '56 with a friction feed. The nib is OF maxi-semi-flex/ Slightly flexible and I'm happy enough with that nib that I'm glad I got it and could not put it on my regular flex '90-96 400 Tortoise.
The 400NN is just different enough from the 400 that it is it's own pen. Had I been able to switch nibs, I'd never got to feel the slight difference between the two pens.

Some one gave me a 120 regular flex steel Fine. It was a pen I'd never bought. It is a joy to write with, it's nib is nip and tuck with my '90-96 400 14 K and better than my modern regular flex 14 K 605.

The 605 will some day become a cursive italic.

HughDesilva

Post by HughDesilva » March 4th, 2024, 10:54 am

Too much useful information for me like can help my problem.