Pelikan 150

Moderatoren: desas, MarkIV, Linceo, Lamynator, Zollinger

Antworten
Free Citizen
Pelikan 150

Beitrag von Free Citizen »

I have this pen since college and it is a favourite among my small collection. The gold plating is almost all gone but it still writes beautifully. I sometimes wonder why Pelikan did not nickel plate the nib as a base for the gold plating. If it did, the gold finish would have lasted and I would still have a beautiful pen. Another drawback is the stiffness of the nib. If stainless steel is the material of choice for the nib, it could have been better if its thickness is limited so that the nib is not too stiff. Other than these two points, there is no gripe. I plan to purchase a model M250. Primarily because the nib is solid gold. I have to buy it by mail since there is no Pelikan outlet in my area. Please let me know if anyone thinks I am making a poor choice.
Stephan Th

Beitrag von Stephan Th »

When the M150 was released, it was a low-end pen along with the M100 which had no plating on the nib at all. The M250 is certainly much better made than the M150 was. However, you must keep in mind that the M250 belongs to the "tradition" series and not to the "souveran" series. The difference goes beyond looks as the Souveräns have much thicker plating than the Tratidion pen which can be seen in direct comparison. Thus the plating is less likely to chip off. Furthermore the parts of the pens are made with much more precision, because of stricter quality control. However, in normal use one would probably not notice the difference, although I have no doubts that after twenty years a Souverän would look much better than a Tradition.
Free Citizen

Stephan Thirmeyer hat geschrieben:However, in normal use one would probably not notice the difference, although I have no doubts that after twenty years a Souverän would look much better than a Tradition.
Yes I have seen the Souveran series at a Pelikan boutique in the city. The Toledo range is even more impressive. I have among my small collection a Parker Duofold Marble Red and a Sheaffer Balance Millennium Edition. These I bought before our money was attacked by currency speculators. Nowadays, the price of imported goods is very prohibitive. I am not a professional collector. I use all my pens. This time, I am looking to replace my old 150. The dull coloured nib is an embarrassment sometimes when I use it. I don’t know if I can return it to Pelikan for it to be replated. But if the same treatment is given, there seem little point in it. Although I have no doubt about the finish quality of the Souveran compared to the Tradition series I have no complaints about my 150 which is almost twenty years old. With the cap on it still looks like an expensive pen. The gold plated clip is still intact. It is only the nib finish that gives away its class.
Carol Opulski

M250

Beitrag von Carol Opulski »

The M250 is a totally unique pen in that it has a solid gold nib! This problem of pealing 20 year old plating, will never be of concern to the new owner of a M250. You have made an excellent and affordable choice. The ratio of value to price is the greatest on this lovely instrument, which is sure to stand the test of time.

I am the owner of several Pelikans, both new and 30 years old. I joined this forum, just to respond to your post Free Cit. Enjoy the pen.

By the way, have you considered purchasing just a new nib for your old favorite? I don't know the details, but I do know there are many, "fountain pen hospitals" that specialize in just that.

Carol, RN
phouk

New Nib

Beitrag von phouk »

By the way, have you considered purchasing just a new nib for your old favorite? I don't know the details, but I do know there are many, "fountain pen hospitals" that specialize in just that.

Right. I just wanted to add the info that Pelikan nibs are easily interchangeable - just unscrew the old one and put a new one in. Furthermore, the solid gold nibs of the M 250 / M 400 series (both the single color and the bicolor versions) have the same size as the steel nibs of the M 200 (gold-plated or not), so you could just get a new solid gold nib of that size and put it into your old pen.
Free Citizen
Re: M250

[quote="Carol Opulski"]The M250 is a totally unique pen in that it has a solid gold nib! This problem of pealing 20 year old plating, will never be of concern to the new owner of a M250. You have made an excellent and affordable choice. The ratio of value to price is the greatest on this lovely instrument, which is sure to stand the test of time.

Dear Carol, thank you very much for responding to this thread. I was beginning to give up that Mr. Thirmeyer is the only respondent in this forum that responds in English. I agree with everything you say. Among the fine writing instruments produced by Pelikan, the M250 seems to have the highest value for money. I received my M250 last week. It was what I imagine it to be. A fine piece of workmanship. But they sent me the wrong pen. I ordered a medium nib but was sent a broad nib. I returned it for exchange and I expect to receive the replacement this week. I am sure I will enjoy using it as well as my old 150 that have served me for so long. As for your suggestion about fountain pen hospitals, I don’t know of any in my country. But Pelikan Malaysia has assured me my Pelikan pen is repairable regardless of age. I will look into that service when the need arise. For now, the old 150 still performs beautifully so I’ll be using it at home.
Carol Opulski

The versitile Pelikan M 250

I buy all my pens on-line, after I have examined them in a shop. The price difference is enormous and the customization you spoke of in your post:
...so you could just get a new solid gold nib of that size and put it into your old pen...

I just purchased an M250 in solid Burgandy, with the ink window, but I upgraded the nib to a 14K two tone, for just a few extra dollars. If you are a first time customer, the sales person spends a few minutes asking how you would like the pen to work.

Since I am left handed this is very, important. The added joy of "package anticipation," oh is just so exciting!

Carol RN
Free Citizen
Re: New Nib

phouk hat geschrieben:Right. I just wanted to add the info that Pelikan nibs are easily interchangeable - just unscrew the old one and put a new one in. Furthermore, the solid gold nibs of the M 250 / M 400 series (both the single color and the bicolor versions) have the same size as the steel nibs of the M 200 (gold-plated or not), so you could just get a new solid gold nib of that size and put it into your old pen.

Dear Phouk, thank you for your post. This idea of replacing nibs by DIY appeals too me. When articles are sent by courier, there is a chance of it getting lost. But how do you unscrew the nib? It is interesting that the M250 and M200 share the same size nib. But is it the same for 150? I hope you can throw more light on this.
phouk

More Info

Beitrag von phouk »

About how to change the nib, have a look here (middle of the page):
http://www.nibs.com/PelikanNibsAvailableForCusto.htm

About whether the nibs of M200 etc. and M150 are interchangeable, I don't know, I don't own a M150. Maybe somebody else can enlighten us?
Free Citizen
Re: The versitile Pelikan M 250

Carol Opulski hat geschrieben:I buy all my pens on-line, after I have examined them in a shop. The price difference is enormous and the customization you spoke of in your post:
Carol RN
Dear Carol, my M250 replacement has arrived. My colour is Green Black. The touch of the nib without ink on paper feels smooth. Upon closer examination I can see that the tip is ground unevenly. So this must mean that the nib was finished by hand. I also bought the two pen pouch, in matching Green Black. It is the most beautiful pen case I have seen. The flap cover is rather long. I guess it was made to accommodate the oversize M1000 as well. Inside I can see a neat divider that protects the pens one is being put in or taken out. A very neat feature. You should give it a try. It is interesting that you buy all your pens on-line. Where are you located? Not having a Pelikan sales outlet in my area is a blessing in disguise. Pelikan ships the items to me free of charge.
Free Citizen
Re: More Info

phouk hat geschrieben:About whether the nibs of M200 etc. and M150 are interchangeable, I don't know, I don't own a M150. Maybe somebody else can enlighten us?
Dear phouk, many thanks for the link. It is a great help. From the look of it, it looks like nib no. 7 and 9 are about the same size. I suppose the M200 and M150 share the same no. 9 nib. It also seems the nib is package with the feed fitted. I wonder if this is so. Now I am thinking about ordering some stub nibs. The writing is just beautiful with such nibs.
Carol Opulski

Pen Joy

The new nibs fit the new pens, but if your pen is from college years, be careful, because the older pens are not always threaded the same. Just be careful when trying the nib in a different pen.
I live in NYC and there are several, good places to buy Pelikan pens here. Like you I have discovered that I can get and even better deal if I shop on line. Instread of having to pay the rather expensive( bridges and tunnels) tolls to travel the roads in NYC, I can buy the pen form California, at a better price, and save on 8.45% sales tax, and shipping fees. So I am a little frugal, what's wrong with that?
The M 400 and the M250 (even M200), share the same nibs, but not the M150. I asked the question of my seller who has a very nice web site: http://www.nibs.com/ You may still be able to purchase a nice nib alone (Gold) for about $60.US (plus postage/insurance). If you're in Germany, I'm sure you'll get it cheaper.
I have some older pens in need of repair that I must send off to the motherland for repairs, because no one in the US has the parts for such old pens any more. The M100 models are not sold very much in the US.

Carol
Free Citizen
Re: Pen Joy

Carol Opulski hat geschrieben:The new nibs fit the new pens, but if your pen is from college years, be careful, because the older pens are not always threaded the same. Carol
Dear Carol, you have a good point. You must be technically inclined to suspect that old screw threads may not be the same as new ones. Well, so much for my plans to replace it with a solid gold nib. USD60 is a steep price for me. I am located in Malaysia. Half a world away from you. For every USD I have to fork out four times as much. Even if I were located in Germany I do not believe it would be any cheaper. Germany, especially in the western parts is an expensive place. I suppose the distribution cost isn't any cheaper than in NYC. It is just like Japanese tourist coming to Malaysia to buy Japanese cameras. I agree with you that buying online has its advantages. Pens stocked by boutiques with its inherent overheads will surely be more expensive. It is great that you are able to save on taxes and shipping, although I do not know how that works. You may want to consider purchasing from third world sources. Check out this site: http://www.pengallery.com/ It might work out to be cheaper than buying from California. Cheers.
Antworten

Zurück zu „Pelikan“