Moderator: werner

werner

Cross Affinity

Post by werner » February 22nd, 2010, 10:18 am

Thema: Cross Affinity
Startbeitrag
Autor: Christian Mücke

Hello Everyone,

When having a look at the Cross homepage, the new "Affinity" caught my eye. From the looks of it, I like it a lot. But I haven't seen it in real yet. So here's my question: Has anyone had the opportunity of getting a closer look at it? Can anyone say anything about the character of the pen and especially the nib? Is it rather wide or thin?

Greetings,
Christian

werner

Re: Cross Affinity

Post by werner » February 22nd, 2010, 10:20 am

Antwort_01
Autor: Thomas Baier

Hello Christian,

look here:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum ... pic=127651

A "Pen Made in China" just like all the other writing instruments from Cross. Too bad.

I don't really know more myself, yet. FPN postings complain about the new US-service from Cross with its waiting times going over months and the not satisfying client contact. What the people there didn't like was the screw cap with the plastic thread instead one of metal.

On the other hand, this is still valid according to German internet pages: "All Cross writing instruments and desktop sets, no matter how old, have a lifelong guarantee for accuracy in material and workmanship."

The German service, which I had experienced as a good one, still has their office in Mainz. So I don't think there will be any service problems in Germany.

Greetings
Thomas

werner

Post by werner » February 22nd, 2010, 10:21 am

Antwort_02

Hallo Thomas,

Thank you for the link. I'll have to have a closer look at the FPN site.
The reports about the service makes one feel anxious, but the writing characteristics seem to be okay. Until now, I was always satisfied with the quality of Cross writing instruments. I'll just have a closer look at the Affinity myself and will let you know what comes out.

Christian

werner

Post by werner » February 22nd, 2010, 10:22 am

Antwort_03

Hello Everyone
I got the Affinity fountain pen (size M nib) and the fitting rollerball pen in black/silver by mail today. After having made only good experience with the service and product quality of Cross so far, I just ordered blindly. The first impression is a good one. The pen is pleasantly big, pretty heavy and looks well-manufactured. The Cross homepage gives you a visual impression:

http://www.cross-pens.eu/de/de/products ... e/affinity

A high-grade resin is acceptable for this price range and lies comparable between the Waterman Phileas and an MB-fountain pen. It feels good when holding it and it lies well in the hand. Due to the metal strengthener in the inside of the barrel and the solid gripping section, the center of gravity is rather farther up front.

The squeaking sounds when opening and closing the pen are kind of bothering. It is cartridge filler; I wasn't able to test piston filler yet.

The metal thread on the fountain pen is a weird contrast to the plastic thread on the inside of the cap. Here it would be interesting to know how long it takes until the plastic thread is worn off. But the cap fits perfectly when sticking it on the end of the barrel. The plastic thread might leave fewer markings on the barrel.

The writing characteristics are very good. The size M stainless steel nib writes smoothly and without any loud writing sounds. The ink flow is first class. With well-running ink brands it might already be too much of a good thing.
One thing is awkward: The slit of the nib is not in the middle (see FPN thread). So one side of the nib is wider than the other. Visually, it is kind of bothering; however, it doesn't seem to have an effect on the writing abilities. I'll let you know if they get worse. In that case I still don't think I'd send it back, my Affinity just writes too well (with blue Cross ink from the cartridge) for that.

For about 60 Euros a more than good writing instrument with smaller fabrication flaws. How much the relocation of production sites to China might be responsible for that is anyone's guess.

Greetings,
Christian

P.S.: The rollerball pen is also a very fine writing instrument with its outstanding leads. Well-balanced and well manufactured.

werner

Post by werner » February 22nd, 2010, 10:24 am

Antwort_04
Autor: Thomas Baier

Thank you for sharing your first experiences with us. The Affinity might be an everyday-product and could be offered in an interesting price range.

The Century II from Cross and the Ipsilon from Aurora, the Expert from Waterman and the former Celebry von Pelikan are only some of the direct competitors.

We'll just have to wait and see in which direction the Cross company develops itself by producing in China.

So far I had always made good experiences with Cross-Century writing instruments. I hope it stays that way.

Greetings and on this occasion

A Happy New Year 2010!!!
to everyone

werner

Post by werner » February 22nd, 2010, 10:25 am

Antwort_05

Hello,

Here a short supplement: The M-nib is rather slim for its size, more like a size F nib.

Even after a couple of days of writing with it, the first impression remains. Fabulous ink flow and comforting nib.

Greetings
Christian